Last season we saw Pitti Bimbo take on a new role as an emerging trends incubator. This season Pirouette returns to the beautiful city of Firenze to cover the summer edition of the Italian tradeshow sharing our favourite collections and new finds as we go along.
PITTI BLOOMS, flowers that blossom like new creative ideas is the theme. So let’s chat with a couple of creatives. In this post we have a quick chat with designer Tina Tuchinda who will take part in the Italian tradeshow. Dimitra Zavakou returns to Pitti with the second edition of The Nest providing us with some useful tips on things to do and places to eat when in town. We take a look at the different areas and what labels will be showing for first time. Finally, Pitti has a large international buyer attendance, what key buyers will be walking the show and browsing the collections.
Tuchinda new to the KIDZFIZZ area
This will be Tuchinda’s first time exhibiting at Pitti Bimbo, what drew you to exhibit at the show ? I’ve always had my eye on Pitti, but I “feel” NOW is the time to go….you know us creative types….it’s all about the “feels”
How do you see a Tuchinda girl’s style for ss18 ? For SS18, I was inspired by Woody Allen’s movie “Vicky Cristina Barcelona…especially the character Maria Elena played by Penelope Cruz”. I loved everything about the movie!!
Gelato girl, if so what flavour ? I love all “coffee” flavors of gelato!!!! Yum yum!
Read here Tina’s Formidable Family Tuchinda post.
Dimitra Zavakou returns to Pitti with the second edition of the Nest.
This is the second edition of the Nest are you doing anything different second time around ? The concept remains the same and we explore even more with research to introduce an exclusive selection of small independent brands and “up-and-coming” companies
Top tip for new brands to get buyers attention ? All our 15 brands are equally important. We aim to choose brands that have a strong sustainability profile, or art influences or innovative concepts and ideas. Some brands participate for the second time due to success on the first edition and of course, we also have newcomers.Click Click here to see in detail our selection.
Favourite things to do when visiting Firenze ? Besides the lovely events offered during the Pitti Bimbo fair (which you can find here,) it is lovely to walk around and see all the performances on the streets from various artists. Also a highly recommended exhibition to visit is : THE EPHEMERAL MUSEUM OF FASHION
“Cappuccino” – from SIENI PASTICCERIA (just in front of the Mercato di San Lorenzo lovely place to eat as a local is the Mercato San Lorenzo
lunch – Trattoria Sergio Gozzi
Dinner – Osteria Natalino and Trattoria Omero
Pasta or Pizza ? Pasta!
Gelato ? Dark chocolate and pistachio. My ice cream shop to visit Edoardo il Gelato Biologico Vivoli.it
Read here, Dimitra’s guest post on the topic of Sustainability.
Pitti Bimbo Areas and labels showing for the first time
FANCY ROOM: Dedicated to children’s lifestyles, from design to small accessories, from gadgets to technology. Located on the Lower Level of the Main Pavilion.
New names showing include: 03 Zerotre, Bambam, Bamboom, Charlie Banana, Gilde Scarti e Mestieri, Happy Horse, Inglesina, Izipizi, Jellycat, Milk & Friends, Noodoll, Watchitude.
THE NEST: You will find small independent brands and “up-and-coming” companies selected in collaboration with little popup, the Berlin concept lab. Located on the Lower Level of the Main Pavilion which immediately received very positive feedback.
New names showing include: Aamcevoykidswear, Kiboro, Kokori, Mimi & Lula, Once, Plume, Unsigned.
KIDZFIZZ: The fairs concept lab brining together the most creative collections by brands that experiment with shapes, materials and presentation styles.
New names showing include: Cavalier, Cocolico, Dinui, iglo+indi, Indikidual, Mini Rodini, Petit by Sofie Schnoor, Picnik, Sissonne, Tuchinda, Zebra I can see, Zoocchini.
APARTMENT: Dedicated to luxury collections for children’s fashions.
New names showing include: Little Creative Factory, Amelie et Sophie, Nikolia and Tambere.
Others to note
- BonTon will present its new collection, expanding the exhibition area inside the Pitti Bimbo section
- Scotch & Soda returns to Pitti Bimbo with an area located in the Piazzale delle Ghiaia
- Velveteen will be exhibiting in the luxury kids area The Apartment
- Kid’s wear Magazine and acclaimed photographer Achim Lippoth present his book “Storytelling” – Thursday pm
Key buyers in attendance
538 collections are expected (versus 498 at the previous summer edition), 322 of which are from abroad (60% of the total), and over 5,600 buyers, making a total of over 10,000 visitors at the last summer edition. Here’s a list of some key buyers who will be in attendance looking through the collections.
- Italy: Luisaviaroma, La Rinascente, Pupi Solari and Tessabit
- United Kingdom:Harrods, Liberty, Selfridges, Childrensalon, Fenwick, Childsplay and Step2wo
- France: Le Bon Marché, Printemps, Galeries Lafayette and Smallable
- Germany: Loden Frey, Peek & Cloppenburg, Barbara Fréres, Engelhorn, Korbmayer and Breuninger
- Switzerland: Bongenie and Jelmoli
- USA:Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and Shan & Toad
- Russia: Bosco dei Ciliegi, Tsum/Mercury and Daniel Boutique
- Spain: El Corte Inglés
- Japan: Isetan Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and Ships
- Saudi Arabia: Al Garawi, Harvey Nichols Riyadh and Rubaiyat
- United Arab Emirates: Chalhoub, Lollypop and Sauce Turkey Beymen and Demsa group
- Hong Kong: Harvey Nichols Hong Kong
- South Korea: Shinsegae and Hyundai
- Netherlands: Azzurro Fashion Group
- Kazakhstan: Saks Fifth Avenue Almaty
- Taiwan: Kid’s Will
- Lebanon: Aishti
- Kuwait: Harvey Nichols Kuwait
- Ukraine: Baby Marlen
- Singapore: Kids 21
- India: Myntra.com