Forget about the pink ribbon ladies, it’s not called “pinkwashing” without reasons. What you want is real prevention, or in other words, not to develop breast cancer in the first place. Cancer is a multi billion dollars business and you don’t want to be part of the game. Take the power back, take responsibility for your own health, be more knowledgeable, adopt an appropriate lifestyle and preventive gestures.
Here’s a list of key points about breast cancer – some of this information is never mentioned on governmental cancer prevention websites:
- Cancer is only 5% genetics, and 95% environmental. This is good news as you can [partly] control your environment. Even in case you have the genes, it does not mean they will be activated. If you read about epigenetics, you will understand that your environment is responsible for activating or silencing genes. That’s even more power in your hands.
- Avoid mammograms as much as you can. They have just been banned in Switzerland. Mammograms provide a good amount of a false negative or false positive results, the compression can damage breast tissue or potentially spread cancer, they are not effective for women with dense breasts or implants, and they can lead to over-diagnosis and over-treatment of non-invasive cancers. Instead, go for thermography (see more info below) and perform a breast self-examination once a month. If you find any abnormalities, consult your doctor immediately. Early detection is vital for a successful treatment.
- Stay away from pollution, endocrine disruptors, EMFs, processed food, non-organic meat, fruits and vegetables. Our bodies are bombarded by a great deal of pollution and toxins coming from our houses, clothes, cosmetics, food, drugs and by the air we breathe. The hundred thousand environmental chemicals that have been introduced into our ecosystems cause cancer, and our breast tissue is especially at risk because many toxins preferentially affect them.
- No bras with wires! Take your bra off whenever you can. Bras cut off the lymph drainage which is key to escort toxins out of the body. Massage your breasts daily, especially the part just underneath where the bra compresses the chest. It will stimulate the lymph nodes and toxin evacuation.
- Exercise. Aerobic exercise and yoga elevates oxygen in our cells, and cancer cells don’t thrive in a well oxygenated environment. This is essential to good health and key to activate the lymph which, unlike the blood, has no pump.Women who exercise aerobically four hours a week have less disease and stress. Jumping on a trampoline stimulates the movement of lymph, facilitating drainage in the breast. Move your arms, swim, dance, walk.Exercise helps to keep insulin and blood sugar levels in better control, gets rid of stress hormones, and improves sleep.
- Minimize over the counter and prescription drugs. Substitute herbs whenever possible. Drugs clog the liver and have adverse effects on hormone detoxification. They are also aggressive on our gut flora and the friendly bacteria which constitute 80% of our immune sytem. Whenever you can, replace HRT and BCP with natural solutions.
- Diet : eat a rainbow colour plant based diet, high-quality, natural foods, Radically reduce your intake of sugar and fructose to normalise your insulin and leptin levels. It is one of the most powerful physical actions you can take to lower your risk of cancer. Refined fructose is especially dangerous, as research shows it actually speeds up cancer growth. Eliminate all foods with additives, preservatives, artificial colourings and chemicals. Make an habit to read labels. Drink organic green vegetable juices daily. This will alkalinise the body and oxygenate it. Remember, cancer cells like acidic bodies and don’t like oxygen. Avoid drinking alcohol, or limit your drinks to one a day. If you feel you don’t get all you need from your diet, consider taking high quality supplements of vit C, D3, B, selenium, CoQ10, omega 3.
- Hydration is key. Drink 6 glasses of pure water daily. This will contribute to avoid constipation without the use of over the counter laxatives, which can do more harm then good on the long term. Constipation has been linked to breast cancer. Magnesium citrate helps stimulate peristalsis in the colon. Flax seeds can also help. Soak them in water of grind them just before you eat them (sprinkled on your muesli or yogurt…)
- Improve your sleep, both in terms of quality, quantity, and sleeping between certain hours (between 10 pm and 6 am being ideal). Working against your biology by staying awake when you should ideally be sleeping or vice versa, interferes with these hormonal fluctuations.
Summary avoidance list : Processed foods (preservatives, additives, colorants), Non-organic cosmetics, perfumes, shampoos, laundry detergents, Antiperspirant, deodorant with aluminum and paraben, Scented candles, car and home perfumes, Electromagnetic frequencies (see post here) – never put your cell phone in your bra, Gasoline, car fumes, Drugs, especially involving hormones (HRT, BCP…), Bras with metal wires, Sedentary life, Alcohol, Sugar, Flame retardants, solvants, furniture that contains polyurethane foam, Stain-free fabrics, Teflon treatments (pans, garments), Meat over grilled on the BBQ.
Helpful links related to thermography :
Article by Dr Mercola on breast cancer prevention : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/20/breast-cancer-prevention.aspx
Rebounders by Bellicon : www.bellicon.com
High quality supplement suppliers :